Pages

Sunday 17 August 2014

Ella's Tote from Jeni Baker's Vintage Summer Library Tote Pattern

As you say in Italian, I am the arm and not the brains behind Ella's lovely new tote. Does that make sense? I mean  that I sewed the tote but Ella chose all the fabrics for the tote and how to place them. She chose to add different sized covered buttons on the front of the tote and on one of the handles. I love how it turned out.


The pattern is from the free project book "Jeni Baker's Vintage Summer" included in Issue 10 of Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine (so the pattern brain is Jeni Baker's!):



There are so other lovely projects I would like to try out like the Flower Power Throw Quilt, good for showing off large prints. Still got to catch up with a lot of Bee Blocks though so I'll have to wait a little while...


Ella's version is a little smaller than the original because, to tell you the truth, she chose a fabric that was too small so we decided to fit the size to the fabric. In the end this tote is the perfect size for a nine year old to carry all her precious games and secrets around. It is resisting very well to "overfilling" too! I knew it was going to be filled up to maximum capacity so I did make sure I secured the handles as well as I could with extra stitching! Little women carry a lot of stuff in their handbags too!


There is a very handy pocket inside. Ella decided to use the same fabric as the handles for it (Waterfront Park - Shattered).


I love how Ella decided to place the covered buttons (which she covered by herself, by the way). I must admit I wasn't sure about fixing one on the handle but she insisted and, you know what, it looks really good and doesn't get in the way at all.



Ella is taking it everywhere with her and so this is where these photos were taken:


One of my favourite places ever: the hermitage of Santa Caterina del Sasso on Lake Maggiore. There are 242 steps to walk down to the church (but they've recently installed a lift too) and the view is absolutely stunning. No wonder the rich merchant who landed there during a storm decided to become a hermit and live there for all his life!


Don't miss the website for Santa Caterina del Sasso to see the wonderful photos of the church taken from the Lake.



Follow on Bloglovin


Linky Party C'e' Crisi



10 comments:

  1. Great bag, and lovely pictures! I can see why one would want to be a hermit there too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty tote! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great that your daughter knows exactly what she wants. it looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bigger the handbag, the more stuff you put in it. I think sizing it down was a great idea, and pink is always a good colour!
    Arm and brains in Italian? We say brawn (muscles, strength) and brains in English. I love how idioms like this are slightly different in different languages. In Spanish class this week I learned that the equivalent of 'it's a piece of cake' (it's easy) is 'it is a potato' in Spanish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a super pretty tote. I love the handles especially - great fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Fabric choices Ella, I need to learn how to cover buttons, love the color of the water at the Hermitage and the beautiful outline of the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful teamwork! Ella's bag is perfect! The view from the Hermitage is stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way you guys share your craftiness! What a great team and it looks like some great outings too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great bag! Perfect use of buttons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous bag, love the special touches of the buttons and handle fabrics :) My those views are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete