Pages

Saturday 20 April 2013

More of A Lovely Year of Finishes and LoveLy Baby Quilt

As I posted at the beginning of the month, I have joined "A Lovely Year of Finishes" hosted by Melissa of Sew BitterSweet Designs and Shanna of Fiber of All Sortshoping to finish my LoveLy Baby Quilt. I'm not doing so well at the moment:



So far I have ironed everything (this is already an extremely difficult task...I always have time problems and have to keep the iron far away from my Toddler!) then, using my "Quick Results" method, I've sewn front and backing together, with the wadding on top of the front piece, right sides facing, leaving an opening for turning the quilt the right side out. During this process I sandwiched three ribbon tags, from my ribbon and trim stash, on one side. I found a really pretty heart ribbon that matches perfectly.


Problem number one: I sewed the ribbons and trim to far out, the tags are too long and I don't like them like that. So I am now unstitching them. I just have to sew them in again but it's a bit fidgety getting them straight and not making them move while you're sewing. Sigh...
Problem number two: I decided quite quickly how I was going to quilt the LoveLy Baby Quilt. As the fabric already has a lot of small patterns, I just want to quilt "in the ditch" around the wide border, right to the edge to make the corner squares stand out. I also want to quilt hearts on the four central solid pink squares. Here is where I had my second problem: I wobbled a bit, so I'm undoing that too because it keeps catching my eye!


Problem number three: when I finished piecing everything I noticed there was a tiny cut in the corner of one of the central solid pink squares. So I thought: I am not going to undo it all again to fix it! This is the solution I came up with:


I'm going to crochet two or three hearts to sew on to this area of the quilt, as an extra girlie touch too! They are so cute. I saw them in Eline Pellinkhof's beautiful book "Stitch and Sew Home" and fell in love with them (and practically everything else in the book!). I really like Eline's giant cross stitch murals, they're brilliant. She is also designing some really interesting fabric, I'll write about that soon...


The problem is I've only just started learning how to crochet from my friend Cinzia (Angelina) who is patiently trying to teach me! I've only done flowers so far and I have to translate the terms into Italian otherwise we don't know what we're talking about!


Problem number four: I've been carrying the quilt around, hoping to have time to do the unstitching, so it needs ironing again! Double sigh! 
Do these things just happen to me or is there somebody else out there who has the same problems? Will post again at the end of the month about this quilt, hopefully with good news!!!
My Button


2 comments:

  1. I've had all sorts of interesting little problems with my own baby quilts. Like the one for my sister that I managed to quilt a Cheerio into -- had to cut it out and applique a heart over the little hole. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! Thank you for the incouragement. I will definitely be joining your "Let's Make Baby Quilts Linky Party"!

    ReplyDelete